If you live in a Conservation Area, there are usually some additional layers of regulation you need to go through to make any changes to your property. This is because Conservation Areas are protected areas of special architectural and historic interest where unique and distinctive features must be preserved.

Historic England provides good information on what it means to own a building in a Conservation Area.

How do you know if you live in a Conservation Area?

It’s unlikely that you won’t know if you live in Conservation Area; you should have been made aware of this when purchasing the property. However, if you are unsure, you can find out if you live in a Conservation Area by contacting your local planning authority (LPA).

If you do live in a Conservation Area, the LPA will also tell you what you can and cannot do to your home and if there are special controls in place. The LPA will also explain what permissions will be needed should you wish to carry out any work.

How planning and Conservation Area regulations may affect your traditional sash or casement windows

Unlike living outside a protected area, if you own a building in a Conservation Area and wish to make any alterations, be it repair and maintenance work, or improvements to be more energy efficient, there are extra planning controls known as ‘Article 4 Directions’, you must adhere to.

Article 4 Directions

Article 4 Directions allow an authority to restrict the work you can do without planning permission. They are used to strengthen a Conservation Area by requiring planning permission for changes that would normally be covered by permitted development. It gives the authority the opportunity to assess any proposed changes and their impact on the local area. This includes replacing doors and windows or adjusting gutters and drainpipes.

Article 4 directives will only be introduced when there is a potential threat to the character, special interest, or appearance of a building’s traditional detailing. Article 4 is in place to protect heritage areas and ensure that an area’s historical interest is maintained. It does not exist to unnecessarily block improvements. If work is in keeping with the area’s character, planning officials provide approval.

Again, you can find out if Article 4 Directions apply in your area by contacting your LPA.

How to replace your windows in a Conservation Area

At yoursashwindows.com we design, manufacture and install timber windows which often satisfy Article 4 Directives.

We work exclusively with wood to ensure an authentic finish. Our high-quality materials, skilled craftsmen and attention to detail means we create beautiful, bespoke windows that strike a balance between maintaining an area’s aesthetic and improving a home’s energy efficiency, security and overall performance.

We can even install double-glazing units that feature a range of traditional detailing to ensure they meet planning controls. You no longer have to choose between energy efficiency and authenticity.

As we bespoke manufacture everything at our Stockport-based workshop, we can also incorporate unusual designs and details into your windows and/or provide exact replicas of your original frames.

If you live in a Conservation Area and your original timber windows need restoring, repairing or replacing, contact yoursashwindows.com today. For more information on any of our products or services call 0333 600 0196 or Request A Survey.

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.

Privacy Settings saved!
Privacy Settings

When you visit any web site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Control your personal Cookie Services here.

Our Company uses these cookies to collect information about your visit to our website, the content you viewed, the links you followed and information about your browser, device, and your IP address.

  • _ga
  • _gid
  • _gat
  • _gd

Decline all Services
Accept all Services