The casement window is not widely seen on British property until the start of the Edwardian period, circa 1890 onward.
From this point there was an explosion of designs, glazing and construction. Glazing directly into the frame, internal & external glazing bead, fixed glazed sashes into a casement frame, stained glass, protruding bays, and many more design variations were used.
The shear variety of different types of casement window naturally makes the restoration process more difficult, particularly when replacing rotten timber as nearly every window has it’s own unique profile. Furthermore, the relatively low numbers of surviving period casement windows vs sash windows has meant the necessary skills required for the faithful restoration of casement windows have largely been forgotten. Thankfully, our team of joiners have worked on a great deal of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian casement window restoration projects and with a growing portfolio of 1930s/1940s window restoration work, and are perfectly qualified to advise you on the best solution for many different casement windows.
In addition to restoring the full operation of all opening casement sashes, we also fully draft – proof the windows, repair external pointing and putty, and can even double glaze them. There are several reasons why refurbishing, and potentially double glazing, your existing casement windows is preferential to complete window replacement:
– Maintaining and restoring original features will add value to a property
– All surrounding internal architrave, window board, box lining and associated panelling can be fully retained
– Refurbishment of your existing windows costs less than a complete replacement. Even when compared with UPVC
– In most cases, refurbishment will minimise surrounding plaster damage and avoid the need for internal redecoration
– Double glazed refurbished casement windows can be fully 2011 building regulations compliant
– Refurbished casement windows are FENSA registered and guaranteed for 5 years with the option to insurance back
– Double glazed casement window refurbishment is permissable in most conservation areas and with some listed buildings
The possibility of having fully building regs compliant windows that look near identical to the properties original windows means you can have the best of both worlds – an original period look with the efficiency and functionality of new modern windows.
Modern Casement Windows & Mock Sash Casement Windows
We offer a full range of modern casement windows manufactured bespoke to your specification. Whether you require supply only, supply only with our measure up service, supply fit or supply fit with opening creation, we can manufacture the casement window you require.
Modern Casement & Mock Sash Refurbishment
In general, modern casement windows do not warrant refurbishment. It is usually more economically viable to replace them. However, on occasion some windows are worth saving. In these cases, please contact us for a free survey and we will be able to advise you of the best course of action.